Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

Could you tell me if there are any laws/licenses needed for…

Hello, could you tell me...
Hello, could you tell me if there are any laws/licenses needed for Ohio for, special needs high school students cooking and serving food and serving staff/Employees. It would be easy prep i.e. soup, salad, sandwiches...Thank you
1/7/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Actually, in Ohio there are no special or separate laws for special needs students to cook or serve food. They would be treated just like any other employees or persons cooking and serving food. So the facility would need the same health permits and inspections as any other facility serving foods.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you be able to tell me how to go about getting the permits and approx the price? thank you

Thank you for your reply.

We cannot assist you in getting the permits I am afraid, that would be forbidden by state law as it would be considered representation.

However, you can obtain the license needed by contacting the OH Board of Health and also obtaining a tax ID number or if you have one already registering with the department of revenue for any sales taxes you will have to pay. Even though you may be a non-profit, sale of food is outside business activity and it is still subject to tax and sales taxes.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney