Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

College student loans

Customer Question
College student loans
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Education Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My son's friend is not a great student. But doing okay. This past semester she did horrible and is having to appeal her suspension....due to medical problems. The school told her because of her GPA she would not get any financial aid, which we understand but they also told her that she would not be allowed to take out her federal student loans to pay for this next semester either. Can they legally stop her from using her federal student loans?
1/4/2018
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

They cannot stop her from taking out student loans, but federal loans may not be available to her if she is returned on probation and she may have to take private student loans until she comes off probation. This is NOT up to the school to decide, it is up to the US Department of Education who administers the student loans and they can still approve a federal student loan for her under these circumstances.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you. But you also said "they can still approve a federal student loan for her under these circumstances". Who exactly can approve the loan. ...the school? How would she get this?

Thank you for your reply.
The US Department of Education CAN approve a loan under these circumstances. The school has nothing to do with approval, it is the US Department of Education through Sallie Mae or Navient or whatever lender management company they use who approves the loans.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney