Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My student loans are in default. A large amount of fees has…

Customer Question
My student loans are...

My student loans are in default. A large amount of fees has been added to the principal/interest. The only options they are offering are consolidation (which i don't want to do) or voluntary payment.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I went to school in DC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

Ideally, I would like the added fees waived since I started receiving bills before graduation (they had the graduation date wrong)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Education Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Education lawyer: Infolawyer, Partner replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Partner
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.One option is negotiating a payment plan with fees waived or heavily reduced.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
They said it has to come out of default first, is that true?