Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I have a freshman that is a 504 student. Can I ask that test…

Customer Question
I have a freshman...

I have a freshman that is a 504 student. Can I ask that test correction to a 70 or retest be one of her accommodation/ modifications? Test in her algebra class are weighed as 40% of the 6 weeks grade.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

I had a 504 meeting today and the teacher told me she didn’t allow correction or retesting. No one can tell me what our district policy is. I’m wondering if every district is different?? I would like for her to be able to make corrections or retest. I feel like only having two test in the 6weeks and it counting 40% of the grade is hard to recover from.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is There a law saying how often a 504 meeting is supposed to take place? My daughter transitioned from jr high and we are just now meeting because i requested the meeting today.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Education Law
12/14/2017
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Changing grades on a test is not considered a reasonable accommodation under the ADA or IDEA, I am afraid. Reasonable accommodations for students would be things like additional time to take a test or taking a test in a room away from other students. As far as retests, those are wholly up to the teacher's discretion, as the law does not provide they have to offer a retest I am afraid.

The law does not provide how often 504 meetings are to occur. Generally, they are to occur as reasonably necessary. If a parent feels their child's needs are not being met with the current plan, they can request a meeting. Being allowed to make corrections or retesting though would not be something a parent can ask for. In preparation for such a meeting, the parent needs to get together their documentation as to what would be needed to help their child's needs be met and it needs to be more than what the parent feels they want, the parent needs to involve the child's doctor or counselor or therapist to come up with some reasonable means of getting the student to succeed in the classroom to present to the teachers in the 504 meeting. So before requesting a meeting, you need to get that information together as to what other things would be reasonable from professionals to help your child succeed to present them at the meeting.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.