Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I have a problem with special education of my school

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with special education of my school district

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut we r having trouble securing proper bussing to and from new london, ct

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

There is no current superintendent, i have only been speaking the head of speical educaation or her secreartary or our SE case manager, all tell me a bus will be there and either it doesn't show up or it comes an hour after the start of school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The only outcome we want is a reliable consistant bussing situation

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Education Law
12/7/2017
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Have you spoken with the school board yet in addition to the people you spoke to?

What are they telling you?

We haven't talked to anyone aside from people at special education, how do we go about talking to the school board, who do we contact, today our son gets out of school at 3:15pm the bus company called the school to tell them the bus wouldnt arrive until 4pm. We don't want to make idol threats, what can we do?

Thank you for your reply.

You would need to send a written appeal of the determination from the school and from special education and explain to the board that they are failing to provide your son accommodation required under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act and that failure would lead to you pursuing a complaint to the CT Department of Education for violations of the IDEA if they cannot resolve this issue.

You need to send it to them in writing to create your paper trail. If the school board refuses to act on this you need to take 2 steps. First, call your local TV station action reporter and have them report on the lack of bus service for handicapped special needs children. Most of the local TV stations have an "action reporter" who can assist getting public attention on these issues and resolving them. Second, you would also send a letter to the CT Department of Education explaining to them that the school is violating your son's rights under the IDEA and not providing reasonable accommodation of bus service and it is not reasonable to let a disabled child wait 45 minutes or more for a bus, if one ever shows up and ask the Department of Education seek to assist.

You must exhaust these administrative remedies before you can go to court. So if the CT Department of Education cannot resolve the matter if you need to go that far, then your final option at that time would be you need to hire a local education law attorney to file suit in US District Court against the school district for violation of the IDEA.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney