Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Is there a case for a graduate student who's transcript

Customer Question
Is there a case...

Is there a case for a graduate student who's transcript shows good academic standing despite being academically dismissed for earning a B-. Student pursued informal and formal grievance processes to no avail. Student was docked points for personal growth in said course . . .

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the school located? And is it a public or private institution?

Oklahoma, private.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

Local attorney no. At the time I lived in another state and had lawyer write letters on my behalf. Spoke with school'd Provost via the informal and formal grievance processes. My ideal outcome for this situation is: 1) bestowing my MFA 2) paying student debut incurred

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I offered to repeat the course or write an extensive research paper to re-mediate the B- and was offered nothing. The program no longer exist. There are several other incidences that occurred throughout the two year program. Most poignantly, I was on of 5 cohorts. After the first year there were two of us, after the summer- it was just me. I completed the last year as the only cohort of my entry year.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Education Law
12/6/2017
Education lawyer: Legal Eagle, Education lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court, and a former college administrator. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

is there a case?

Hi, I'm still reading.

Bear with me a moment while I review…

There may be an argument, but it'd have to come under contract law. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of good faith and fair dealing if a B- was not justified and it was the only reason that an otherwise qualified student was dismissed from the program.. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 1-304, every contract comes with implied promises from both parties that they are going to be acting fairly toward one another. The failure of one party to act fairly toward other can result in a breach of contract. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Ely, Attorney