Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I am a parent of a 11th grader that has been bullied and the…

Customer Question
I am a parent...

I am a parent of a 11th grader that has been bullied and the Principal did nothing and I have shown evidence to other Principals that say my child Principal missed handle this I have missed work and nights of no sleep and my child has been to the doctor about this and is set up for counseling

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?

Cleveland Ohio I have proof and witness statements

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I did Police report and doctors

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No this is a very complicated cases with many layers there is video footage where the girl threatened me in the School but no audio portion I don’t want the school to get rid of the video on two hallways she had people holding her back as I walked to Principal office

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Education Law
12/3/2017
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Ohio law requires every school district to not only have an anti-bullying/anti-harassment policy in place, but to enforce that policy. The law defines “harassment, intimidation and bullying” to be any intentional written, verbal, electronic or physical act that one student has taken against another student more than one time that resulted in either physical or mental harm. The bullying must also be sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive, to create an environment that is threatening, intimidating or abusive for the victim. If the student was bullied and the school has refused to enforce their anti-bullying policy under ORS 3313.666 http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3313.666, you can file suit against the district for infliction of emotional distress on your child and seek monetary damages against the school for not properly investigating and enforcing their anti-bullying policy as required by law.

The local lawyer you obtain will send a letter to the school ordering the video to be preserved as evidence when they file the suit.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.