Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My child's school is under investigation for complaints of…

Customer Question
My child's school is...

My child's school is under investigation for complaints of abuse and neglect of students with disabilities. I received a request from legal aid to consent to allow them (VT legal aid) access to my child's records.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Vermont State

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. The letter arrived today. Oddly, I did get a letter a week ago stating I may be contacted, my child's public info was divulged, and I have received a letter from the 6th grade school for an update emergency card. My child's in 8th grade and attends a different school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My child's on an IEP.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Education Law
I have done a bit of research on ferpa and am reaching out as I am uncertain how much this falls in the guidelines of 'educational purposes'.
Thank you in advance.
Customer
12/3/2017
Education lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The request for the records would fall under FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) since the information is needed by legal aid to ascertain whether your child's education has been adversely affected and if your child would need legal assistance. Nonetheless, you can consent or not consent to the request.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.