Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I took a job in VA and plan to move my family. We have major…

Customer Question
I took a job...

I took a job in VA and plan to move my family. We have major debt at two schools for our children's schooling. I do pay a portion of the debt monthly but fear when I leave they will not release transcripts that they might be able to continue school. Can my children be kept out of school in another state because of this matter? what can I do? it would take years to pay the debt in full.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

I just need my children to continue to be able to go to school in the new state and continue to make payments to the private schools we are leaving.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

For my children to stay and continue school in the NJ is almost out of the question. ARE WE TRAPPED?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Education Law
11/28/2017
Education lawyer: Legal Eagle, Education lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, your children cannot be kept out of school in another state because of this. The reason is because the states have a compulsory education requirement which says that all children must attend school, usually up until the age of 16 or 17. Thus, even if they do not have all of the transcripts, they would still have to enroll her and educate her as they would anyone else. It may be a bit of a headache getting the transcripts from the prior schools if they will not release them; however, this will not prevent their future schools from educating your kids.

What other questions did you have for me?