Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I am filing out the Fasfa for my daughter who showed

Customer Question
I am filing out...

I am filing out the Fasfa for my daughter who showed livestock and had 1099 s totaling about 12,000. Due to all the show and feed expenses she didn't have to pay income tax on it and her 1099s were included with my husband and mine's tax return as she is a minor and not employed. The Fasfa asked if she herself filed a return and I answered no . Is that correct ? The next question is " how much did you earn from working.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the school located? And is it a public or private institution?

From working, wages , and tips ? I believe that would be zero bc she isn't employed . Right ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

School is in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to answer the questions correctly

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Education Law
11/26/2017
Education lawyer: Legal Eagle, Education lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok. Yes please
Do you have any questions ?
Hello

Ok, so a teen’s tax filing requirements depend on his or her status as a dependent as well as on the amount and type of their income. Based on what you provided, it appears as if she is a dependent.

The IRS considers a child to be a dependent if he or she:

• Is under 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student, or permanently disabled at any age;
  • Lives with you more than 50% of the year; and
  • Doesn’t provide more than half of his or her own financial support.

All dependent children who earn more than $6,350 of income in 2017 must file a personal income tax return and might owe tax to the IRS.

In your case, if she earned $12,000 in earned income from the livestock, even if she had deductions, she was still required to file a tax return. However, as someone who used to process FAFSA documents myself, typically the government is not going to inquire about her filing status too deeply, so long as the income was reported on your tax returns.

So, to answer your question, the answer is no, she didn't file a return.

Thank you. It is the 2015 tax info that she is required to use . Also, my husband is self employed and frankly, doesn't do his part . There was a question about the income of "parent two" which I put him down as. The question asked what his income was . Since he is required to fill out a schedule C, I got the figures from that form . He grossed 11,000 but after expenses it was only 1,557. Do I put the 11,000 or do I put the 1557? I am a teacher so our income together wasn't a lot. I really appreciate your help !

Hi, thanks for responding. Just one moment...

Sorry for the delay! Okay, so you will put his gross income, so the $11,000. Did you have any other questions for me?