Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Student loans Run out of deffermant or forebearance.

Customer Question
Student loans Run out of deffermant...
Student loans
Run out of deffermant or forebearance. Ultimately stop paying.When your child decides to apply for a student loan will that affect the child.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Education Law
11/19/2017
Education lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Can you please clarify your question?

Federal student loans
Owe stopped paying years ago.
Son will be applying for college and need federal student loans. Will my non-payment of student loan effect him? Or ability to get one.

No, your non-payment will not affect his ability to apply for student loans in his own name. However, he would not be able to apply for any joint loans with you, such as Parent PLUS loans.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Does this also mean sometimes. College when you apply for a student loan want a cosigner ie parent.

Yes, if you have to cosign, then you will likely make your son ineligible for that particular loan if it is a federal loan. Private student loans may allow you to cosign, but you would have to check with each private lender individually.

If you cosign your credit has to be worthy as well?

Yes, that would be a separate criteria for approval.

Can you please send me a link to federal student loans. Parent non-payment cosigner issues

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/plus#eligibility

Education lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?