Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I went back to school part time in fall of 2014 till spring…

Customer Question
I went back to...

I went back to school part time in fall of 2014 till spring of 2016. Filled out all fasfa paperwork and was awarded loans and scholarships. Then in the spring of 2016 the financial aid office said we screwed up and you weren’t supposed to receive aid or loans that totaled over 12000. I became disabled and didn’t finish my last few classes. I was under the impression I could keep my grants and payback loans. They said no because we screwed up. Now I received a letter stating I owe more than that and it’s going to be deducted from my income which is over 9000 year on disability. So no grants and no loans to pay back after several years but want it back all now when they made a mistake and never justified it. This college is a University of WI college that now is going through problems of non ethical issues of borrowing money and being scrutinized for conducting non ethical practices.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oshkosh, WI If I wasn’t awarded the grants and loans I would not have gone back before I got sick. Then sorry you weren’t supposed to get anything and now you owe more than before and we want it now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

The administration are the ones taking money illegally and going through legal issues. I just received this in the mail and would not know what kind of a Lawyer to ask. The financial aid office just said nothing in explanation and won’t rectify anything. The Deans and administration are under investigation currently. So there is no help there.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How could they take my financial aid and loans away and make me owe more and not be responsible for their error. Plus, I didn’t expect to become ill and now be classified disabled.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Education Law
Answered in 2 days by:
11/12/2017
Education lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to contact U.S. Department of Education for assistance if the school has refused to help you.

If your only income is from disability benefit, the school should forgive the institutional grants/loans. If the other loans are subsidized and unsubsidized government loans, you can work with Department of Education to get the issue resolved/payment plan set up for you. For more information, click here.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.