Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

My son is in third grade and is receiving speech and OT

through his IEP. He...
My son is in third grade and is receiving speech and OT through his IEP. He qualified under speech (communication)
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: He has some accomodations in his IEP. We live in California. He is due for his triennial in three weeks. He has made progress but we are worried the school will try to terminate his IEP. He does not have any learning disabilities but I suspect he may have dysgraphia. Would this qualify him as learning disabled? Can he get a 504 if he doesn't qualify for an IEP if he still needs accomodations. He has trouble with writing and it takes him a long time to complete written work. His hands cramp. He has trouble with drawing as well. He has gotten Vision Therapy which has helped him as well. Any suggestions as to how we can keep the IEP going?
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: We have an advocate who we take to our meetings and is advising us. I am also a credentialed school nurse and have some understanding of the law but wanted to make sure we are covering all bases. WE want him to be able to maintain his accomodations so he continues to do well in school. He is a bright boy who works hard and does well but just needs more time to complete work.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do you think we should have psych educational testing done to see if there is an underlying problem? The team says they don't see anything glaring.
10/13/2017
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Thank you very much for your patience. I specialize in special education law in CA. Generally, if a student is exhibiting signs of a disability that may impact his learning, the local education agency is required to perform an evaluation on the child, with your consent, and provide you with the results at an IEP team meeting with 60 days of your consent. A student may also be eligible under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 if he has any major life functions that are impaired by a condition they have. Accordingly, if you have reason to believe that your child has dysgraphia, then you may request an assessment from your school in those areas. If the school refuses to consent, then it must provide prior written notice as to the reasons why it is refusing to assess the child. If your child is taken out of the IEP process, you may be able to file for due process to explain that your child still needs services regardless of their opinion. Usually, you can get a list of free or low cost attorneys from the office of administrative hearings in California. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Education lawyer
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your help. Excellent and prompt response.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Education lawyer