Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

I have a question about working at schools. thank you for

help. if you have already...
I have a question about working at schools. thank you for help. if you have already helped me please disregard my question
10/7/2017
rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Whats questions do you have that I may help you with,thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much, Since you have already helped me I do not want to bother you :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question is about staying safe as an employee or school psychology internship student at school. Thank you for your help. Here is the question: If a student with mental illness is in a general ed classroom but his behavior (running after teacher with scissor) does not resolve with behavior interventions, and at the same time the school has"hands off police"(which does not allow the staff to even just hold the student's body without causing pain for the student and only for the purpose of preventing injuries to others), what can that teacher do to be able to stay safe? * There is an option of resigning from her position. But if she has immediate financial needs and waiting for months to find a job is not practical. On the other hand, going to work like that is beyond ordinary job stress and comfortableness is extremely hard. Even if she say to the administration that she requests to be moved to another class, they might instead blame her for rejecting the service to that student (sometimes that is the administrative attitudes)And school administration might not understand her and instead fire her. So what her options legally to be able to stay at the job and stay safe? (the parents of the child has mental issues as well and they do not allow the school to change placement. This is a real case scenario that a school psychologist has explained to me) Also, if she is doing her internship there (I am a school psychology major and my practicum works are coming soon and I am required to work at a public school) . If I face the same situation, what are my options? The significant part is that at school staff are not allowed to check the student's bags. An If I am required to see the student to do and IQ test for example, I never know what tool he has in his pocket! So I am legally allowed not to accept working with that student as an intern or practicum student? What I am concerned about is that if my site supervisor, or my university professors find this safety concern as invalid and tell me that I am not allowed to continue the program! Based my experiences with my professors and advisers, they are not helpful at all, they do not teach us about safety training or plan. For example, students who has biting behavior, cause serious injuries or themselves and others. They never explained to us how we can protect ourselves from bites! Considering all these situations, Can you please help me what options I have?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you please help me with that? or if you can refer me to new expert? :) thank you very much

Sorry I was unable to reply to you for awhile give me a minute,thanks.

Schools are vulnerable places, my wife worked in special education.Personal safety is a potential problem, you can do your best to avoid problem situations, honestly my wife changed schools several times until she found one that has less problematic kids and numbers.

You have to decide here if you are willing and able to take the risks here with special needs kids or you want to change directions and work elsewhere.My wife retired because she was tired of dealing with it , seems like all schools have some risks and realistically not much protection.Most special ed units are in portables far away from the office and any real security. Arguably they do that to limit contact with other students, the down side is you cannot summon help quickly or easily.

At some point you have to decide if this is for you or time to change.No one should look down on you if you change your mind.Once upon a time I was a teacher, like you I finished up but knew it was to for me and went to law school.I did substitute while in law school but that was it.I just couldn't put up with the bureaucracy and the rules of the place and no support.

I don't know if that helps you please don't shoot the messenger.If you decide to go elsewhere with your life never look back.You might be happier doing something else.I know I was and was so glad I became a lawyer. And for what its worth all three of my kids aren't lawyers and went in other directions too.

I wish you the best here, let me know if you have more.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your guidance. The problem is that I am already half way through the program and spent money and time. :( that;s the only problem

Well you may finish it and try it at least.Then you can either seek something in the filed but secure or something different.People often end up changing directions finish it try it out and see if it is for you. Tough decisions but if you have the degree you can do a lot of thing.I worked in government we had history majors and many other fields and they ended up there.A degree in anything looks good on your resume even if you change directions later on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yeah. I see. you are right. It is much better than to have only BA. I need to go to internship and see how things go. and If they get resentment against me because I am scared (like any other person) of some one running with scissor after me, then I see what I can do. Unfortunately not all professors have good intentions. One of them is so tricky. She behaves like a CIA agent, she shows empathy , asked me questions to just see how I react. Then she use it against me. It is shame that a university professor acts like a police and investigator.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I wanted to ask something that I am concerned about. these professors had a meeting with me two weeks ago. And they told me that My performance is not satisfactory (However I am sure that they are making it up and I have evidences that I am doing well) So they gave me a letter to sign . Unfortunately I got shocked at that moment and signed it. Then a week after, they gave me another letter called: Modified letter!. Now I am wondering whether the previous letter is still in effect? The modified letter, did not require me any signature.
I have attached both letter. would you please take a look at them and tell me what you think.

Isn't that the truth.I have faith in you .I will say a little prayer for you here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. that is nice of you. Can you also please look at the letters? and tell me if the previous letter is still in effect?

I think they are going to try and enforce the last letter on you here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
these statements that they might have me discontinue the program and they had me sign it, is canceled and is not in effect any more?

You need to get a written answer to this from the school about which one applies and do it soon as you can here.Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh ok. my family is suggesting me that I should wait a little bit until they get good feelings about me (However I did not do anything that make them having resentment) you suggest me doing it soon?

Yes you want to know what is expected here in case they try to terminate you , I understand they are being really vague.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. so I will do it soon. Would you please help me with the content of the email that I need to send so that I can get written response from professors? A s a student I might not use good words that relate to law issues.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

If you send me a draft of what you are going to end I will read it and comment,thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i will do now thank you so much

No problem talk to you soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Dr....,
I am emailing in regards ***** ***** letter I received on our last meeting on October 3, 2017. I would like to whether the new intervention plan has been replaced from the previous one, or the new letter is an addition to the previous letter.
Thank you for letting me knowI would like them to also know that I am not naive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
know whether

Hello Dr....,
I am emailing in regards ***** ***** letter I received on our last meeting on October 3, 2017. I would like to whether the new intervention plan has been replaced from the previous one, or the new letter is an addition to the previous letter.I am very much interested in progressing and graduating and want to understand what I need to correct here.In order to do that i need to be clear about what I need to do to progress.

Thank you for letting me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you very much.

Prayers to you and thanks for rating 5 stars.

rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sure
rayanswers
rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney