Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I just opened a wine school. I am teaching basic wine and…

Customer Question
I just opened a...

I just opened a wine school. I am teaching basic wine and spirits classes and more complex wine course. i would like to know if i can deliver a certificate of achievement to my students

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Especially for those who take the complex courses

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, i am in Nevada, las vegas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, i have a llc

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Education Law
For the complex wine course, i have different level:
introduction to wine (1 day course + test)
Wine level 1 (2 days course + test)
Wine level 2 (3 days course + test )
Wine level 3 (3 days course + test)
When my students complete their training and pass their test, i would like to reward them with a certificate of achievement. i want to make sure i can deliver those certificates without specific conditions.For the basics wine classes (2 h with no test at the end), can i deliver a certificate of attendance or something similar ?Thank you for your answer.
9/25/2017
Education lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Who is establishing the standards of the certification?

What will the certification confer?

Are you online with me?

sorry, i am here.
i will be the one establishing the standards of the certification. i am sommelier certified with 7 years of experience.
i am also the owner of the LLC
the certificate will prove that the student has been studying the course (number of hours) in the subjects review during the course ( wine, spirits, beer or cigars). it also prove that the student has pass the test at the end of course with success
basically, it just attest that the student has achieve the course and has pass the test.
it does not confer any diploma, any legitimate degree...
Thank you for the additional information.
So long as you are not defrauding the students by representing the certificates confer any more than they do, there is nothing illegal in providing students certificates of achievement.
In other words, you can not represent the certificates are affiliated with any organizations or official standards/cerifications.
Otherwise, there is no law which prohibits it.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
thank you very much.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!