Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My 8 year old son has been diagnosed with developmental

Customer Question
Good morning...my 8 year...

Good morning...my 8 year old son has been diagnosed with developmental dyspraxia. and the school has taken his recess away at least 7 times in 13 days of school in 3rd grade. I have full custody of my child and I am a teacher - i have asked for OT to be set in place. I was pressured numerous tmes to take him for an evaluation and now they are punishing him for forgetting to get tests signed...principal is harsh w him and now my son does not want to go to school...he wa also told he cannot hug any of his teachers....not even his favorite teacher from 1st grade....that truly hugged him all the time...this is also causing a major problem between my ex husband and I because he want to take this to court and he doe snot have decion making ....or custody. One thing we agree on is that htis school is not the right place for him due to their unfair treatment..and how petty thngs cause constant complaints. To make matters worse he correctsmy son during lunch, and my child cant fisnish his lunch. yesterday he came him w a stomache because he didnt get to eat his lunch. As a result I am feeling ver hurt about my son and how I wish I could make this stop. I work at 745....he eats breakfast very early and needs his lunch. I also notice snce last Spring the principal is forcing me to meet at conferences w my ex husband. This never happened before...and now we are forced t meet at conferences. I am not in good terms w him and prefer a separate conference..yet now not even the superintendent will make him accomodate my request because i do not have a restraining order??? THis man has been highly emotionally abusive...I even lived in a shleter when I left him in 2011 because of all the problems we had. This school is a blue ribbon school yet lack compassion...the principal acts like he is above the law, Please help....

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

No I have not ....I cannot afford an attorney . i work at a private school and am a single mom.. My salary doe snot permit me to pay an attorney ; (

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need advice please...my son is paying a high price and no longer wants to go to school!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Education Law
9/23/2017
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Does your son have an IEP or 504 plan in place?

Ely, Attorney