Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I was wondering what steps do I take when the school is not…

Customer Question
I was wondering what...

I was wondering what steps do I take when the school is not in compliance with the IEP?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

Not at the moment but I do have a IEP meeting today to discuss my child's accommodations.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They put him in all regular classes with not one special ed class but all his minutes are special ed minutes according to his IEp

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Education Law
9/19/2017
Education lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
If the school is not in compliance with your IEP plan, and has not placed your child the specialized classes/program that you have determined is required for your child, then you must file a complaint with the specialized education supervisor at the Parish level.You can request an IEP meeting with the supervisor. You should send your request to both the school principal and the supervisor. You must detail what IEP was agreed to by by the school and detail what is not being followed.After the formal request of a meeting, and after the netting if the school is still not in compliance, and does not change your child's classes to conform with the IEP, then you must request a mediation with the Louisiana Department if Education.If you feel that the school will not be be reasonable at mediation you can skip mediation and file a complaint with the Department of Education directly regarding the IEP. They will then conduct and investigation and have a meeting with both you and the school. The option is yours.The filing of the complaint should be mailed to ***** if Education
PO Box 94064
Baton Rouge, LA 70804You can also call to initiate the complaint to the Legal Division. You may file by calling(###) ###-#### or by sending written notice by fax to(###) ###-#### or, by mailing written complaint notice to the LDOE, P.O. Box 94064, Baton Rouge, Louisiana###-##-####If you would like a mediation you can find the request form on the department’s website www.louisianabelieves.com.I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.