Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My grandson is not allowed to go to school because he has…

Customer Question
My grandson is not...

My grandson is not allowed to go to school because he has ADHD-ODD. I have went before the Superintendent of schools and the principal he has at Jerry Pop Williams Elementary. They have put him in a day treatment where I have to take him and then get him before his medicine wears off at 1 so they don't have to put up with him if he has had a bad day. He doesn't understand he is 6 why he can't go to school Jerry Pop Williams. His spirit is going to be destroyed. They said they could keep him there up to 2 years.. He will be so far behind the other kids. There are 83,000 or more kids in Arkansas that has ADHD Arkansas is number 1 in the US with that problem. Nobody else in Farmington has to go to that school why is that because he is black. Last year he was student of the month. He gets to play sports with his classmates and there is no problem. What do I do. I know I signed the papers but it was under duress because the principal and the Ozark Guidance said I had to.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand that questiion.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am teaching him at home because they said that they are not concerned with his education.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Education Law
9/12/2017
Education lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

The Office of Civil Rights [OCR] enforces several Federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive Federal funds from the Department of Education. These laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin, sex, disability, and on the basis of age. These laws extend to all state education agencies, elementary and secondary school systems, proprietary schools, and state vocational rehabilitation agencies that receive U.S. Department of Education funds. OCR also has responsibilities under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (prohibiting disability discrimination by public entities, whether or not they receive federal financial assistance).

So you may want to consider filing a complaint here.

Does this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.