Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

I applied for college courses in winter 2016 with classes to

Customer Question

I applied for college courses in winter 2016 with classes to begin in June 2016. Just before time for my classes to begin, I lost my hearing completely -- couldn't even hear with my hearing aids. I tried to go online and cancel classes but couldn't get in to the website to do so. I couldn't talk on the phone so it didn't happen. I was devasted and trying very hard to not "lose it!" So I didn't keep trying. This is my problem: I had no student loans, just the FAFSA, financial aid pkg.. Now the school is threatening to send my case to collection. I have contacted them and reminded them I I never even saw the classroom and I don't owe then a dime. But they are still at it! Am I liable to pay for a financial package that I didn't use? What recourse do I have. I'm 79 yrs old and I have no income except social security. Any light you can shed will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: I haven't spoken to any legal person but I have contacted the school official and told them just what I told you.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything but that doesn't mean there might not be something I'm not aware of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. If i understand, you did not cancel your classes according to school policy, is that correct? And you want to know if they can bill you for this?