Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Parents for Weekday Religion" have petitioned the board to…

Customer Question
quot;Parents for Weekday Religion" have...
quot;Parents for Weekday Religion" have petitioned the board to hold weekly instruction in religious tenets for elementary school students who wish to participate. Instruction will be provided by local clergy and will be held during regular school hours in a mobile unit parked just off school property. Is this legal and why?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Education Law
I need this today and I am willing to pay.
9/10/2017
Education lawyer: Legal Eagle, Education lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, under the U.S. Constitution, there must be a division between "church and state" meaning that a public organization, like an elementary school, may not promote nor inhibit religious activities. In your case, there is not going to be clear, bullet-proof guidance on a situation like this. One one hand, if it is held during school hours just off school property, then it is likely going to be considered promoting religion. On the other hand, if it is off school property, even if it is during regular hours, and if the school has nothing to do with the religious teachings, don't provide any materials or tools, and don't promote it to the parents, then they're likely not going to be considered to be violating the Constitution. Accordingly, my recommendation would be to consider how much the school is promoting this, if at all. If not, then there is no need to worry. Alternatively, if the school principal makes the suggest that people attend this thing, then it is.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Ok. What do I need to do now?
How do I get the answer?

My recommendation would be to find out how much the school is promoting this thing. It's a judgment call, unfortunately.

How do I get the answer of what I requested?

hi, I see that you may be a bit confused about how this process works. here is what I had originally posted:

This was just a homework question. I didn't need a lawyer.