Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Myself, wife and son feel it would be in his best interest…

Customer Question
Myself, wife and son...

Myself, wife and son feel it would be in his best interest to repeat 8th grade in MI. We are getting pushback from the schools due to the fact they released him on to 9th grade. Wondering exactly what our parental rights are in this situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to an attorney or school administrator about this?

Counselors and k12 due to the fact he doesn't want to repeat in the same middle school. Trying to do the education through K12 online for the year

Lawyer's Assistant: Is it a public or private institution?

Public

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I sent all the info to K12 and stated I wanted him to repeat 8th grade and they told me at the end of June it would not be a problem. I went through the application process and he was accepted. Now they are telling me he may not be able to. I am currently waiting for the principal from Michigan Virtual Charter Academy ( part of K12) to call me back and give me an answer.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Education Law
8/5/2017
Education lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley

You should certainly have a certain degree of control over your sons education especially if the boys mother and the child are on the same page with the idea of repeating the eighth grade. If you do not think that he is ready to move on to ninth grade than that is something that you should be allowed to have an open discussion with the school administration. At this point I would wait and see what the discussion with the principal gives you with regards ***** ***** and him repeating the grade. At the end of the day if you do not think your son is ready and he is on board with that decision, I see no reason why he cannot repeat the grade.

Education lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago

If the discussion with the principal does not go well, then the next step I would do would be to contact the school districts solicitor or the attorney for the school district. I would think that would be productive as well. However, I bet that things will go well with the principal when you talk on Monday. The only thing that I can see with regards ***** ***** roadblock is if the school and the administration truly believe that he is ready to proceed to ninth-grade. However, I would think that would be a decision that the parents would be allowed to participate in. I even agree with the idea of changing schools which will make any kind of adjustment easier.

I appreciate the response and I agree with all that has been stated. I was hoping for something more official. Some type of law or statute that states the rights of the parents in such cases.
Education lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago

a document that may help

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/PC_FAQs_5_12_09_277981_7.pdf