Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

Dear. Thank you for your observations. My daughter is 16 and

Customer Question
Dear  JA: What state are...

Dear 
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Thank you for your observations. My daughter is 16 and first trumpet in band in Pulaski County Georgia. She was handed a bottle of water and upon drinking the vanilla flavored water, she discovered it was etoh. All of the children that brought etoh to scholl were kicked out of band. This incident happened last Monday on the 17th. We discovered later that etoh was also brought on Friday. Saturday, the 22nd, we received a certified letter from the school board that Emma will be thoroughly investigated by a BOE tribunal. Emma was not taken to the nurse. We were not informed until Tuesday by the administration about the incident. We found out everything from Emma. As well, the school administration allowed the intoxicated children to drive and remain in school. No medical help was obtained. Emma's therapist stated that we should obtain a lawyer, we have the news on this, and we do not believe Emma should be further bullied by the administration. Emma told on the people. We believe she is receiving push-back and shaming from the administration due to her whistle-blowing accompianied by the fact that the entire ordeal was improperly handled and the fact that they are afraid of losing their jobs due to their lack of accountability. One family completely pulled their child from the percussion section. There are tapes and we have been denied access to the videos. Cannot think of anything else. Going to sit for my LSATS in two years for family law. I am currently researching similar situations across the nation as recorded on BOE (pdf) cases. Emma is a good Christian girl. We know all of her character strengths and weaknesses. Tina, we are not helicopter parents and do not believe she makes gold bricks in the loo. Many students are bullying her now due to the fact that she told the truth. Georgia, again, is the state.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We submitted a deposition to the school principal and Emma has many witnesses. Her therapist is one of the key witnesses.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time. If she has any questions, please feel free to ask anything of us. My husband works for the government and I am a missionary in Viet Nam for Cambodian refugees.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Education Law
7/24/2017
Education lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Has the investigation of your daughter been completed yet, or is it still ongoing?

My daughter was given a bottled water that was poisoned with etoh. She did not know it had etoh in it. She told the authorities that she was poisoned with etoh. No one called the nurse. No one sent the drunk children home. In fact, the authority neglected to call each of the parents, and they allowed the intoxicated minors to drive under the influence. My daughter is now scheduled for a BOE tribunal on Thursday, the 27th of July 2017 @ 1000HRSEST. Her therapist is livid. We have alerted the media. She has many witnesses and is currently being bullied by her peers as well as the administration. The admin is terrified of being held accountable for their gross lack of conscious presence. We are a bunch of good ol' Southerners down here. Many of these people ran booze during prohibition. Nevertheless, our modest Christian child was poisoned against her will and without her knowledge. She is receiving blow-back for whistleblowing. She is being cyber bullied. Admin has fumbled the ball. I see a fully funded private education in her future and Pulaski County Board of Education will pay for all of her therapy in cold hard cah until she is 21. They have "slut-shamed" her with obscene grafitti and caused her great stress because they have delayed her tribunal. They have traumatized the band director by pulling out one of their best trainers and first trumpets in the middle of official band camp. She, the victim, (Emma Rebecca Tucker Campbell) is crying hysterically and refuses to leave the house. (Mama Drama! Zee GOOKS!) I mean, we all went white water rafting. She has shut down and inverted into the shell. Bruce and I are beside ourselves. Everyone is in therapy now. Why, Mr. Steffen? Cranial rectal inversion of the below the MD line type. They still fight the civil war here. My husband and I are proverbial known as "ni**er lovers". Strike three. Ya' feel me, dude? www.avatarmuse. Retired Air Force and missionary in Viet Nam for the Cambodian Refugees. There's some gratitude for you. Please help. Thank you for your time. We know where they live.
You call me. I have already paid this company over 55 bucks. Why was there no continuity in care? (###) ###-####I am in school to be a family lawyer. LSATS in a year. Crazy and I so dislike them. Irony. So why did the lawyer go to the back doctor?To see if he had a spine. The lawyer. Not the doctor.

I'm sorry, but on further review, I will not be able to help you in this matter. I will opt out so you can seek the advice of another expert. I'm sorry I wasn't able to assist you.

You are so funny. I paid money. My question was never answered. You are the fourth lawyer in line. What? You did not like my lawyer joke or you have no time for real justice. I already paid money to the ask people. I have gotten zero feedback since I initiated the conversation. I shall revert to this: G-d is LARGE and in CHARGE. We have an incredible fecal storm here with people who fail to do their jobs. We have the uninformed, the misinformed, and mind you, the just plain ignorant lemmings that lack present consciousness. Read this. Change your mind.
Timeline
7/17/17
1020 Emma texted me to let me know of a situation at HHS
1110 Emma texted that Ashley brought water bottles with clear liquids to school, asked her to smell it and try it. Emma thought it was a vanilla or crème soda flavored water drink and realized that it was more than flavored water when she swallowed it. She said she realized that it was probably alcohol because it burned the back of her throat when she swallowed it. She told her section leader that they had alcohol. He informed the teachers and staff in the band room that there was alcohol. One of the teachers asked Emma if she knew of any evidence of alcohol and she said she believed it to be alcohol, and what she had done.
1400-1430
Emma met with HHS principal, Mr. Lawley. She told him the sequence of events. She was allowed to remain at school for the rest of band practice (1630).
7/18/17
Emma was allowed to attend Band Camp all day
0945 Received a voice message from Mr. Lawley, called back at 1049, left voicemail message with Mr Lawley.
1108 Received call from Mr. Lawley, expressing apology for the incident that occurred on 7/17/17. Asked if I could meet with him to discuss what occurred.
1630 Andrea and I met with Mr. Lawley. He told us what had happened and that according to the HHS Code of Conduct, Emma had technically consumed alcohol and would not be able to participate in Band Camp until the matter was resolved. She would have to meet the School Board Tribunal and plead her case. They would make a determination if she would continue in Band and remain enrolled in HHS or attend the ALC or expulsion. He also asked for a statement from Emma with what she had experienced on 7/17/17.
7/19/17
0800 Emma and I met with Mr. Lawley and she gave him her statement. He read it and had her sign it. He informed us that she would not be able to attend Band Camp until either the school superintendent or the Tribunal convened the following week.Every year at the beginning of the school year, students bring home various forms for medical and personal information to be filled out and returned. One form is in the school Code of Conduct booklet, which is signed by the parents/guardians and the student. Since the school year has not begun, this form was not filled out or completed. Is this a technical argument?
The school staff knew of this issue on 7/17/17 at 1100. Why were parents not notified until the next day by the principal? Was a school nurse consulted? Was a breathalyzer test or blood test performed?
If I had been informed that my child may have been potentially poisoned, I would have taken her to the hospital for toxicology tests.
How can my child be under the influence of alcohol? Was she tested in any manner? Being in marching band requires a high level of coordination. If she was intoxicated, how could she play an instrument and march in a straight line forwards and backwards without anyone noticing she was impaired?
Does being tricked or not told she was going to drink alcohol fall under these rules?
What protocol is in place for the school to inform the parents when this kind of situation occurs?
If students were drinking and believed to be intoxicated, why were they allowed to drive?
Why were the parents not notified? Where were the teachers and staff during this fiasco?
What incentive is there for a student to do the right thing and speak up if they only get in trouble?Thank you for your time. ARC www.avatarmuse.com Give your parents love for supporting you to this point in your life. Andrea R. Campbell thanks your mentors and family for supporting your efforts and hard wok. Be happy to be you. It says alot that you have space in this box on this site. Please help us. We beseech you. Again, thank you for your time and cooperation. An Education Lawyer to be...
Ely, Attorney