Legal Eagle, Education lawyer
Experience:  Extensive education law experience
97407003

This question is regarding a loan my daughter took out over

Customer Question

Good afternoon, This question is regarding a loan my daughter took out over 10 years ago. She was at the college for just 1 semester and the loan is approximately $9,000. This is not a government loan.
At the time, my daughter left school to care full time for me as I dealt with illness. Since that time she has paid off all other loans but this loan was still "out there".
Recently she has made major changes in her life including marriage, moving, and the like; she would as also like to go back to college to finish her degree.(Even through my illness she took classes at the local community college so she is not far from that goal)
The $9,000. loan has fallen off her credit rating but when she went to apply to another school, she was told that there is a country wide database that tracks all student loans and she cannot apply to any school in the US until that $9,000 debt is complete paid off.
1. Is it true that there is a US wide database with that tracks the status of both government and non-government loans?
2. Is it also correct that she cannot apply to any college until that $9,000 is totally paid off?
3. She does not have $9,000; should she approach the school that gave her the loan to request a settlement?
4. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. As a former college administrator and education attorney, I can help you out:

1. There is a database that tracks government loans called the NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System). However, this does not track private loans, only publicly funded loans.

2. This is not true. Their acceptance is not dependent upon their loan status since students may pay cash for their tuition.

3. She could make payments toward the balance, but I would request from the school their reasoning behind the denial considering it has nothing to do with her academics. If she is able to finance her degree and go to school, then there should be now issue.

4. You may want to consider just having her writing a demand letter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). The demand letter could request specific information as to what policy they are citing for this.

Follow up questions are free, so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wow! I'll be back with more questions

Ok, no problem