How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 376
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well, if a child is expelled and the payment was made via

Customer Question

Well, if a child is expelled and the payment was made via direct deposit for the following month, doesn't the school legally have to return the payment for that month?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: And from a private school
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah, when the parents were going to register the child at the public school, the principal asked for a copy of the suspension, but the parents didn't get a document Were they supposed to get one?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 5 months ago.

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to work to assist you today. The direct deposit for the following month after the child is expelled should be returned. I would suggest reviewing the agreement if there is one with the school and see if there is anything in it about what is supposed to occur if a child is expelled. Also, what does it say in the event of a dispute as to the care and treatment of the child at the school and disputes over payment. It is possible the direct deposit should be returned and depending on the circumstances you might be able to get a prorated amount of money already paid back from the school. The school should also have the expulsion documented and they should provide the parents with a copy of the documentation. I hope this helps and am sorry for the troubles with this child that has been expelled from school. Please feel free to post any follow up you may have in particular after you have reviewed the contract with the school if there are any further concerns. David