N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

My college accused me of cheating on a final because they

Customer Question

my college accused me of cheating on a final because they found class notes hidden in the bathroom stall and I was taking a long time in the bathroom. They have a copy of the notes and found "some" similarities to my handwriting. The notes are my friends that she left in the bathroom. Should I repeal to this case because if I do not I will fail the class. Is my case strong enough if I get her to come in and talk?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Idaho
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a disability so I get longer testing time so I took my final the day after everyone else. The notes were the answers to the finals from the day before
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the lady who walked me to bathroom usually waited outside of the bathroom and waits for me. But she came inside because she thought I was taking too long and she said she heard shuffling of papers which is untrue. She then took me back to my testing suite and went back to the bathroom and searched until she found notes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am just wondering how I should go about this case. I am allowed to appeal the case. But when I repeal what should I say/do
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

You might ask the college to have someone dust the notes for fingerprints sine if you never youched them, your prints will not be there and that would be pretty good proof that you never even touched the notes. Fingerprints are stronger evidence than handwriting analysis.

Please let me know if there is any reason that would not work.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This would not work. The person who was saying that they were hers is backing out now and mine would probably be on it. Is there anything else that I can do?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I say they were mine and that I just put them in there before the test and accidentally left them in there. But I didn't use them during the test.

You should not lie or change your story. If they were not your notes, maybe you could show them your real notes to show that what they found was not in your handwriting.