Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

I would like to know if students can record teachers without

Customer Question
their consent JA: Because education law...
I would like to know if students can record teachers without their consent
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: I would like to know what is texas position on that
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I would like also to know if children can put explicitly content of teachers on snap chat without teacher's consent during school houre hours
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Education Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/9/2017
Education lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

No state or federal laws directly address a student’s general ability to record classroom instruction, though, there are rules that prohibit recording in certain circumstances. Because there is so little regulation regarding student use of personal technology, to a very great extent it is up to the local school district to determine when and how a student may use their personal device at school.

The Texas Education Code requires parental consent before a student may be taped unless the taping is done for safety purposes or for instructional or extra-curricular purposes. So, the local policy cannot authorize a student’s taping of other students without parent consent except in these circumstances.

Since Texas is a one-party consent state for recording conversations, it is not a violation of that law if the student is present of the class being taught and recorded. So, the local district rule, if any, would control.

Which are the rules that prohibit recording in certain circumstances?
Can students use snap chat to ridiculize, criticize or vilify teachers during school hours?

The speech is protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution, but the school can have its own disciplinary rules for such behavior and disruptions.

So, as a general rule, it is not illegal to record a teacher in a class in Texas, but it may be a violation of disciplinary rules within the District and that should be investigated with a call to the Superintendent.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney