Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Councelor at Law
Experience:  Assistant Principal, 17 years in the field of Education
81266493

Can we have multiple usage of the big school building? for

Customer Question

can we have multiple usage of the big school building? for example one floor for charter, one for private, one for pre school
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I have been an attorney for 27 years and have worked in the field of Education for 17 years. I will help you with your questions.

This would be possible but would have to be worked out legally. The building that you use for a charter school will go into the application for the school. The Board of Education would have to approve the building use if you are running a charter school. If you are leasing a building, this would go into the lease contract. It would depend on your district protocols. The district will consult with school lawyers and will give advice to the Board of Education. As with everything else, the school district will be concerned with liability. There will be concerns with having a private school in the building owned by the district.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already bought a building that was a big catholic school before, so its my private property. will it affect the situation
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
since building is huge for me to start just a school, I think to use one floor for kindergarten and some of the space for language courses

I understand. If you are the owner, you should be able to do this. However, the Board of Education may have concerns that another business would be operating in the space. Just keep this in mind. You may consider being upfront with the Board concerning the other schools operating in the same building.