rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years representing children and parents.
8534270

Can a high school prevent a senior from putting his self

Customer Question

Can a high school prevent a senior from putting his self picture n his class annual he is one of the finest an avid hunter all his life he wanted to b remember with a picture with a bow not facing the camera No Arrow they want let him put n his senior class annual can they legally do this
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kentucky
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: I think it's said because he has always been so humble and kind he thinks his rights have been violated and this is not my child
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He wants the right thing to b done n this situation that's all
Category: Education Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You may a first amendment issue and lawsuit.From what you present they are not being reasonable and it may violate his first amendment rights.to pose with his bow.I do not see that this presents any safety or related issues .It is a bow and he has reasonable rights to be photographed with it.

This might make for a great lawsuit for denial of his rights.You might also want to involve local media.This might force the district to back down.These kinds of suits are quite common, school districts can go way overboard and tread on people's first amendment rights.

I hope he will consider a local lawyer to bring attention to this and lawsuit if necessary to protect his rights.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.I wish him the best.