How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Councelor at Law
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Assistant Principal, 17 years in the field of Education
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in high school, and has type 1 diabetes and is on

Customer Question

My son is in high school, and has type 1 diabetes and is on 504 plans and doctors orders and those plans are not being followed by his teachers and at is not safe at school there's no one trained for him for extra curricular after school activities and can't get to medical supplies in timely manner causin extreme health risk, and I need a lawyer for him... Cause i have talked to school nurse counselors principals, and the citation continues...
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisianna
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I just report to principals school nurse, head nurse at school board, and head of 504 plans at school board
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes...when he goes on school band trips for cometitions he's supposed to have a trained unlicensed personnel trained in T1D I case of emergencies and have supplies readily available etc...and befor they left for a recent trip they told me that my son would have one on one the trip trained for assistance and no medical team available for him and that I should hire someone for that..
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I have been an attorney for 27 years and have worked in the field of Education for 17 years. I will help you with your questions.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry you are going through this. If the school is not following the accommodations set forth in the 504 plan, your sons Civil Rights are being violated. They must follow every provision of the 504 plan.

You can therefore file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights in the United States Department of Education. By filing a complaint, you will be alleging discrimination of your son based on disability. This is prohibited under federal law by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Title II prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability by public agencies, whether or not they receive federal financial assistance. Your school is a public agency covered by these laws.

You have 180 calendar days from the time of the alleged violation to file a complaint. If you have used the grievance process in your school district already, you have 60 days from the last school based grievance process to file your complaint with the Office of Civil Rights. You may mail or fax your complaint to the following office:

Office for Civil Rights/Dallas U.S. Department of Education***** Suite 1620 Dallas, TX 75201 Tel.(###) ###-####Fax:(###) ###-#### This office takes care of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas.

In your complaint include the following:

  • The complainant’s name, address and, if possible (although not required), a telephone number where the complainant may be reached during business hours. You are the complainant on behalf of your son.
  • Also include Information about how your son was injured (not given services pursuant to the 504 plan) by the alleged discriminatory act(s) of the school
  • The name and location of the institution that committed the alleged discriminatory act(s); and
  • A description of the alleged discriminatory act(s) in sufficient detail to enable the Office of Civil Rights to understand what occurred, when it occurred, and the basis for the alleged discrimination based on your son's disability.

There is also an online link to file a complaint. Here it is: http://

Please let me know if I can help more. I hope you are able to get the school to comply with your son's rights. Reach out to me if I can help more.

If you are satisfied with my help, I ask that you rate me by clicking on the stars.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just want a lawyer right now... I don't want to file complaints...I have complained to all at his school and things continue..(for the past 3 and1/2 years)...what do I have to do? Wait till my sons actually in a diabetic coma?... I want something done about what HAS ALREADY been done...
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 9 months ago.

The reliable way to find an attorney specializing in issues related to education and disability in Louisiana is to go through the Louisiana Bar Association Disabilities Assistance Network (DAN). Here is the link:

You would search by putting in your Parish. Attorney names and disability specialty will be listed. Look for "Education."

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.