How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 19113
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is being dunned for a very old unpaid student loan

Customer Question

My wife is being dunned for a very old unpaid student loan balance through a collection agency. They are threatening wage garnishment. We are both retired with part-time jobs. Can we get this debt forgiven through one of the federal programs that we see advertised?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: The loan was originated in New York State sometime in the 1970's.
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: Have not contacted an attorney yet. Ideal outcome is forgiveness.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The IRS has forwarded a portion of our refund to the Dept. of Education.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

The loan can be discharged /forgiven if she meets the requirements. For more information, click here and here-2.

Goodluck with your case,

Related Education Law Questions