How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Timothy Treffinger Your Own Question
Timothy Treffinger
Timothy Treffinger,
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Managing Attorney at Law Office of Timothy R. Treffinger, LLC.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Timothy Treffinger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was involved in fight at school...these kids

Customer Question

HI my daughter was involved in fight at school...these kids have made false statements against he in a police report. Basically that she threated them over snapchat and that they have proof. We believe that they created this account to get ahead of the situation. Also there was a parent of one of the kids involved harassing my daughter at the football game...I feel stuck and feel like I am not able to protect my child properly....i dont know where to start.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: it happened in Hanover PA on Friday of last week
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: police took a report and I am waiting on that. I havent recieved any notice of anything being filed....I just need to know what my options are with the parent and also if there is anything that I can file to protect my daughter from being attacked again.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am not sure there is so much that I am not sure what kind of lawyer i would even neede
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Timothy Treffinger replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry you are being forced to deal with this unpleasant situation. The first thing you need to do is get a copy of the police report against your child, whenever it is made available.

In my opinion the best option, and your next step, would be for you to try to obtain a temporary protective order (a restraining order) against harassment. This would likely be directed at the parent of the child who is engaged in the harassment of your child. This order would prevent these other parties from having contact with you, or your child, to prevent further harassment. In the event the party was to engage in further harassing behavior they would potentially be subject to civil or criminal penalties depending upon the situation. This would prevent the parent from harassing your child, also it would prohibit behavior like what you have described (making false allegations) as that would be considered harassing behavior as well.

Information for obtaining this type of order can usually be found at your local courthouse, or you may be able to find forms online on your local (county or city) governments website.

Once you have applied for the order the court will either grant the order outright, or order a hearing where you will be allowed to explain to the court why this restraining order is necessary for the protection of your child.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions, or be of further assistance.

Related Education Law Questions