Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

I am a parent and a teacher, and I would like to ask a

Customer Question

Hello. I am a parent and a teacher, and I would like to ask a question regarding my son. He was diagnosed by a Psy.D. with Specific Learning Disability (math/reading). His district gave him a 504 immediately. They also wanted to conduct their own surveys and two observations. They do not want to give him an IEP, but I am worried that he will not be offered co-taught classes once he is in high school next year. The classes are co-taught by special ed teachers, and my Autistic son is doing very well in them. What is your thought?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: My ideal outcome would be to change his 504 (it's only been a couple of months) to an IEP to have him set for high school. I have not spoken with an attorney nor administrator. The principal has been on board with/attended the meetings regarding my son.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I have been an attorney for 27 years and have worked in the field of Education for 17 years. I will help you with your questions.

Can you please tell me what state you are in?

I am asking this because you have a Federal right under the IDEA law to request an evaluation for special education services. I want to see what procedures are in place in your state to help you with this.