Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

To find out if I would get a settlement or some kind of re

Customer Question
Hello I am Trying to...
Hello I am Trying to find out if I would get a settlement or some kind of re enbursement for this....
I recently found out my school from Highschool is a diploma mill, it's Parkview Baptist School in Houston Texas
Hey are/were taking money for giving fake diplomas. The attorney general of Texas has already filed a lawsuit against them but I want to know if there's anything I can do because it's impossible for me to get into college now
I paid a registration fee when I started his school of about $400
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2016
Education lawyer: Marc, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is***** a licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question. First of all, I'm sorry you were ripped off by your school in this manner. In addition to losing money, you undoubtedly lost something much more valuable - time.Now, the fact that the Attorney General has sued them could mean that you won't have to do anything in order to get compensation. The outcome of the AG's suit should, if successful, include an order that the school reimburse all those impacted by its wrongdoing.However, if you want to be more proactive, you most likely have grounds to file your own lawsuit. You could do so on your own, but it's advisable to hire an attorney. And it's probably not worth the expense if you're damages are only $400. Keep in mind, though, that you may also be able to claim additional consequential damages if you incurred any other expenses or inconvenience as a result of the school's misrepresentation.Given your damages here, and in light of the cost of bringing your own lawsuit, you should contact the AG and ask them about their lawsuit (they work for you, a citizen, and you have every right to ask them). Find out how much longer the lawsuit should take and whether they are seeking an order that the school pay restitution to its former students. If the case is not expected to take too long and if the AG is seeking restitution, then you should consider waiting for the outcome of the case.Another advisable option is to file a complaint for free with the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org. The BBB can be surprisingly effective in facilitating quick resolutions in cases like this.I hope I've provided you with some useful info that helps you to better understand your issues and options. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, please remember to rate my answer, since that is the only way I can receive credit.I wish you a speedy resolution.Regards,
Marc
Marc
Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law