How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 218
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you represent me and negotiate a settlement amount below

Customer Question

Can you represent me and negotiate a settlement amount below what I currently owe on my student loan ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.


In which state jurisdiction do you reside?

In which state jurisdiction is the lender located?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I live in Mississippi and attended USM. My loan was originally Sallie Mae, moved to The Department of Education and norms managed by Great Lakes of Madison, Wisconsin. I made Income Based Repayments for a year in 2010-2011 when I taught in Rankin County Mississippi. I did not teach from 2012-2015. I am teaching now and they have said they will not recognize previous payments. Theoretically, I can pay for ten years while I teach, only when I teach, and then have balance forgiven. I am 64. I would like to have it forgiven because I taught in low socio-economic school or , at least, pay the 120 payments faster. Any experience with this situation?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I graduated in 2008. Payments required at the time were over $700 a month which I could not afford on. $40,000 salary. I was a single mom with three children and one with medical problems
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You can call tomorrow
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. I can't represent you, because I'm not licensed in Mississippi. If a Mississippi lawyer sees this Q&A session, then he or she may accept the phone call, and you will be able to move forward with them. Good luck with your legal difficulties and thanks for using Justanswer!

Related Education Law Questions