How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Approximately 15 years ago I cosigned a student loan to help

Customer Question

Approximately 15 years ago I cosigned a student loan to help a friend at the time. Now 15 years later it appears he does not want to make payments on the loan and I am being told I am going to have to make the payments. Is there anything I can do to get him to make the payments?
JA: Where is the school located? And is it a public or private institution?
Customer: Texas State Technical College in Waco, Texas. It is a public school.
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: At this time I have not spoken to anyone about the situation. The ideal outcome would be for him to make his payments and I would like not to be involved anymore.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

While unfortunately as between you and the school, you are going to be forced to make the loan payments if he defaults (or you are going to be in default as well and subject to collections), you can sue him for breach of contract and collect any money that you have to pay on the loans back from him.

If the amount is less than $10,000.00 you can do this quickly and easily in small claims court without having to retain a lawyer, see:

Related Education Law Questions