Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

Our high school changed its foreign language policy after

Customer Question
freshman year and is now...
our high school changed its foreign language policy after freshman year and is now denying my daughter access to a second year (she got a B in year 1). This will severely harm college chances and I'm not sure if I have any recourse
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
9/7/2016
Education lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Ely, Attorney
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me - is this a public or private school? And what state is this in? Thank you.
This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a New York City pubic school. They set an arbitrary threshold at the very end of the school year that only students with 90 or higher would be allowed to continue (after all tests and grading was already complete) without any forewarning. Students below that level are now - effectively - ineligible for college placement.
Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.
The school has no duty to make a a student eligible for college placement. All the school has to do is to meet the Common Core Curriculum. Anything beyond that is offered by the school at its discretion, meaning that they can curtail classes beyond the Common Core at will.
This is unfortunate, but it is not illegal and there is no way to force the school to continue such a program.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Attorney