Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

My school district has an optional pre-k 3 program that has

Customer Question
am and pm sessions. The...
My school district has an optional pre-k 3 program that has am and pm sessions. The placement for either am or pm was to be determined by who registered their child on a first come first serve basis. I was the 3rd to register on the first day of registration and I requested am. I received a letter from the school stating my child has been placed in the am session, so I made arrangements for drop off and pick up, I bought her required uniform. Today I took her for her am class and was told she is in the pm class and that who ever wrote the letter for her schedule made a mistake. I am not able to put her in the pm class and so now, she will not be able to go to school at all. Do I have any way to fight this? Can I pursue this in court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
9/7/2016
Education lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that the school has acted so unprofessionally toward you. While there are some things that you can do, filing a law suit is propbably not going to be helpful to you. Here is why:

The school has what is called immunity for most types of suits that you can bring. You will have an expense in brining the suit and the suit will take a significant amount of time to go through the process. So the costs in terms of time, money, and energy for an uncertain outcome makes litigation probably a bad bet - unless you have some sort of discrimination claim.

You will probably have a better result getting your child into the a.m. class by contacting the Superintendent of the School District and Complaining about how you have been unfairly bumped out of the a.m. class and that you have expenses as a result of being told your daughter was enrolled. Make sure that after you speak to the Superintendent that you follow up in with a letter.

Also if the Superintendent is unwilling or unable to help you file a complaint with the School Board Chairman and the State Department of Education. When speaking with the Superintendent be professional and polite, but be firm that you are going to further complain to the Board and to the Department of Education.

It is not fair that they told you your daughter was enrolled and then pushed her out, especially when you were one of the first to enroll. I suspect some lower level administrator was doing a favor for a friend and pushed you out. So at least make some calls and write some letters.

I am sorry that this may not be entirely what you had hoped to hear, but sending you down the path of a law suit would only cost you and you would not be happy at the end of it.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Attorney