How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you such the US Department of education after the

Customer Question

Can you such the US Department of education after the statute of limitation has pass if you were a minor at the time?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you sue the US Department Of Education after the statute of limitation has passed and were underage at the time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

I do not participate in the forum's phone call service (you can post a request for our "Premium Service" and your request will go to experts that do participate in that service, and they will contact you with additional information and the fee for a phone call). But I did notice that your post has been pending for some time, and I believe I can assist you on our "Q&A" forum.

The statute of limitations is "tolled" (Paused) for minors - so it does not start "accrue" until you reach the age of majority (18 in most states).

You do not provide the state in which you are living or plan to sue, so I do not have the detailed information for you appropriate to your state, but the tolling information is applied in all states. If you provide me with your state, I can provide you with more detailed information.

  • Also, please keep in mind, this is a "general information forum" and this cannot substitute for formal legal advice, I caution people asking statute of limitations questions especially because it is often more complex than identifying the statute and the date of injury - many times there are arguments about why the statute should not be calculated in a certain way or why there are exceptions, but this takes a careful review of all of the facts in your case and a local attorney can provide this for you - most plaintiff's attorneys provide free consultations for clients.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Washington DC and can US department of education be sued in small claims court located in Washington DC?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
still there?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Customer, I am trying to type an answer for you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

In DC the statute of limitations for minors is tolled until the age of 18. So it will start running on your 18th birthday.

You will need to sue the United States in district court (not small claims), and most claims are brought in federal court, or the Court of Federal Claims (the US Federal "small claims" court), see:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what type of claim would I file for a premise liability? example tort,personal tort
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
still there ?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Premises liability is a tort claim.