How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Idaho and have a student loan that is in

Customer Question

We live in Idaho and have a student loan that is in collection by Performent Recovery which is no longer collecting for the Dept of Education. We have received no statements and are basically paying blind. My husband's check is being garnished and we have a disabled son. We have had to suspend services with one of his providers due to the financial burden. How can we get this out of collections and make monthly payments?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

One solution is to file bankruptcy and apply for a "hardship discharge" on the student loans. Another is to file bankruptcy and get rid of other debts or lower them so that it frees up money to pay the student loans. Finally, a third option is to apply to roll the loans into a new Direct Consolidation Loan directly with the US Dept. of Education. Once you do that you can enter an income based repayment plan that fits your budget. When you do that, you new loan will be reported as current and this should end the garnishment.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.