Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

Can I sue a high school for releasing a minors name to staff

Customer Question
members about a situation reported...
Can I sue a high school for releasing a minors name to staff members about a situation reported between an adult and a minor?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Absolutely. My daughter was approached by an adult coach outside of school saying he had romantic feelings for her. He is 27. She is 16. It was reported to her high school. She and I were questioned and they felt it wasn't reportable. They said her name would not be released to anyone since she was a minor. Since then her previous coach who has mentally abused her and who I had filed a complaint against was told by the school of the situation and apparently parties involved. She then asked to speak to me and mentioned it. She was not told in order to help my daughter. My daughter had already transferred schools to get away from this previous coach and the admin that didn't protect her initially. What is my recourse bi am furious and my daughter is upset and embarrassed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
8/26/2016
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, first of all, such an advance is inappropriate and needs to be reported to the school board if the principal did not take action. Secondly, the releasing of her name to staff is a violation of her right to privacy and you can file suit for invasion of her privacy and also for the emotional distress caused by this situation. Actually, this type of incident is unacceptable in a school between a teacher and a minor and it is indeed a reportable incident to the school board and also releasing her name and details of the incident are a violation of her right to confidentiality as a minor.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney