How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I am an attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in a wide variety of legal areas, including Educational Law.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a step mother have the right to sit in an autism

Customer Question

Does a step mother have the right to sit in an autism classroom to observe her step daughter and teacher if she does not have permission from the mother, but has permission from the father. She is not included in the court order as a custodial parent or having any educational rights. In fact, she did not even exist when all court orders were created and the divorce was finalized. I don't want this woman in my daughter's classroom observing and/or answering teacher questions when she has only known her for a year and a half.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon Beth,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While most schools will allow a step-parent to sit in on a class to observe with just the permission of the step-parent's spouse, the law does not force the school to do this. A school may limit such classroom visits to parents only, and may even deny parents the right to sit in on a class if there is a concern that the visit might cause a disruption in the classroom.

As a rule though, step-parents are given similar accommodations and rights as the parent they are married to in an effort to do what is best for the child.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Hi Beth,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?


Related Education Law Questions