Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

Can you take any legal action against your New York City

Customer Question
public school teachers for documenting...
Can you take any legal action against your New York City public school teachers for documenting ridicule for "potentially" having a mental disability as a child, because that would be discrimination for possibly having a mental disability since it violates the Americans with Disabilities Act (1991)? The person is 29 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
8/15/2016
Education lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

Kindly clarify,

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is against the law to discriminate against someone for having or "possibly" having a mental disability. This form of discrimination violates the Americans with Disabilities Act (1991). My question is: What if school teachers documented this form of ridicule against a child that is now 29 years old during a youngster's childhood, is there still a possibility for this youth that's now an adult to take legal action?

Thank you for the information.

Response: Regrettably, no. The Statute of Limitations has run out on the case. The ADA Statute of Limitations is the same as the State's personal injury Statute of Limitations, which is three years. See New York Civil Practice Law & Rules Article 2 Sections 214 and 215.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't what the teacher's did be considered a form of child abuse?

It can be. However, the Statute of Limitations is also 3 years. So, it is doubtful that the Prosecutor would go after the teachers after all these years.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about with the case of the Catholic Church and their molestation scandals, because that child abuse went back years and justice was able to be done?

I will opt out and let another Attorney further assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law