Education Law

Education Law Questions? Ask an Education Lawyer

Education Law

Is someone available to talk

Customer Question
Is someone available to talk
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Education Law
7/3/2016
Education lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Councelor at Law replied 1 year ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Councelor at Law

What is it you need help with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went into the student loan rehabilitation program about 5 years ago. My mom had gotten sick and I could not afford to make the payments during the program. My mom has since passed and I still have to work this out. When I called them, they said the only option is a lump sum payment now which is 38,000

There has to be more options. Let me look into this. Give me a short time to get you some information. Who told you this? What agency did you speak with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Dept of Ed!

Do you mean the Federal Loan Servicing Center?

Are you in default with a private lender or the government?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in default with the government
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was eddebt.com

What state are you in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still here
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Florida

Yes. What state are you in?

eddebt.com is not the Federal Government. Do you know the name of the bank that you are in default with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all my loans were with sallie mae

sallie mae is a private holder. Give me a few minutes. I am looking for some options in Florida for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I called about my student loan they referred me to the myeddebt.ed.gov
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

Did you originally default on your loans and then go into Rehabilitation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still here
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still here?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello??

I'm here. I am researching options for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

You may have to try to settle the loan telling Sallie Mae you cannot pay the lump sum. You have to indicate you are willing to make income based payments.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok that's it?

When you speak with Sallie Mae talk about your willingness to pay. Don't complain about the debt and say that you are no willing to pay.

You can also call the Florida Department of Education, Office of Federal Family Loan Program to see if they can help in any way. Here is the contact information

1-***-***-****
Toll-Free

(###) ###-####
Local Metro Area
Tallahassee, Fl

Email to:
[email protected]

Tell Sallie Mae you don't have the lump sum but are very willing to pay based on an income based plan.

Please let me know if you have more questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please rate me.

Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady