How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Councelor at Law
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Assistant Principal, 17 years in the field of Education
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question ,my daughter in law teaches in a privet

Customer Question

I have a question ,my daughter in law teaches in a privet Catholic school on the last Friday in May she was sandwich in between 2 guy students that did a belly buck with her in between them. She had no idea that this was going to happen one of her shoes which was a buckled sandel was knocked off her foot. She is a very small gal about 98 pounds and the 2 guys were 200 to 230 pounds .she went to the emergency room, and also reported it to the local police. She wants to file charges against the students and the school .but does not know what she needs to do to get help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will help you with your question. I have been an attorney for 27 years and a prosecutor for 9 years. Please give me a few minutes. I am preparing a complete answer to your question.

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

Your daughter-in-law is entitled to do the following to get help:

  • One option is go back to the police and ask to speak with the supervisor. Ask the supervisor if a detective has been assigned to the case.
  • If the police refuse to investigate, go directly to the prosecutor's office. The prosecutor may be able to file charges and issue an arrest warrant. From what you describe, the students could be charged with harassment or simple assault. Assault can only be charged if there was an injury.
  • If she wants to file charges against the school, she should consider filing a report with the bishop's office first. I am guessing that the school did not discipline the students for these actions. If they did not, complain to the bishop of the diocese in which the school is located.
  • Your daughter-in-law may also consider bringing a civil lawsuit against the students for assault and battery or negligence. Your daughter-in-law should seek the advice of an attorney specializing in negligence law. Go to your local bar association to find a competent attorney. The attorney will seek to file charges against the school for negligent supervision. There would have to be actual harm and medical expenses to bring a civil suit.

Please let me know if I can help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.