How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am an attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in a wide variety of legal areas, including Educational Law.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Doug,Thank you very much professional answer.Six months ago,

Customer Question

Hi, Doug,Thank you very much for your professional answer.Six months ago, when my son saw a a donors' name plaque left on the ground without properly hang on the wall in his private school, he pick up the plaque and hided the plaque plan to make a joke. The school issued an email said the plaque was stolen after three weeks . When my son received the email, he returned the plaque with a poem to explain it was just a teenager's impulsive one time action. He didn't show his name on the poem. I and my husband didn't know anything about it. the joke never happened. The school said that he has been honest. he turned himself in. I don't understand why the school decide suspension my son after five months past for whole week? Compare some white students did much harmful things for other students and only get two days suspension or none. I believe my son has been treated unfairly because we are Chinese. what is your professional opinion? Do you think we have a case to appeal to ask school to remove the unfair suspension record?Thanks again,Rita
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, Thanks for asking for me. I empathize with the situation that your son is in, and I certainly understand how you would feel that your son may be the victim of some discrimination---however, the underlying issue is that he did secrete the plaque for several weeks and while he intended a joke, his also did deprive the school of possession of the plaque during that time. While what happened did not rise to the level of a crime. I suspect that it was contrary to the private schools honor code and as such subject to disciplinary action. Fortunately, as I suggested earlier, I don't see this as having any long term effect on your son. However, I also do not see where there is any clear indication of racial discrimination that would provide you with any leverage in requesting that the suspension be removed from his record either. I'm sorry, but I do not see any facts to support an appeal of the suspension. However, if you want to approach the school about modifying the suspension you may. And if you feel that your son has been a victim of racial discrimination, you may first file a complaint with the school, and if you are not satisfied with the result you also may file a formal complaint with your state Department of Education. Here is a link to Departments of Education in all the US States: You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug

Related Education Law Questions