How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 218
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In December 2001 I came to the United States to complete

Customer Question

Hi, in December 2001 I came to the United States to complete a MBA at Johnson & Wales university in Providence Rhode Island. It was a bad time for all foreign students. I could not get a job or a drivers licence. Therefore I left school and continued with my life. I now decided to continue my studies. I contacted the university to obtain my only original copy of my BA degree in Arts that I brought with me from Morocco , and which the university held just so I can pay them money, I was told that student records are purged after 10 years by an email from department of inactive student records. I kindly explained to them that it is the only hard copy a Moroccan university issues a student in a lifetime and that I need that to enroll in the courses i am planning on taking. Apparently they fed me some story. After that I receive another email from the registrar telling me records are purged and transcripts from other institutions are not held after 5 years. First was 10 now 5. I tried to explain to them that by losing my certificate they just erased the fact that I hold a BA and since its in Arabic and French they probably didn't think of it as that important especially when no one reached out to me or to my last address they have on file. I really appreciate someone's input. It is not a transcript. It's a Diploma that I worked hard for and thought a university is a safe place to hold such a precious document. I want to know what I should do. This is going to affect me and my life for them to destroy the only hard copy that proves that I am a BA holder. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with this question. I have been an attorney for 26 years and in the field of Education for 16 years.I need to ask a few questions to help you better:What is the name of the university in Morocco where you received your BA?Does Johnson and Wales have a computer record indicating you received a BA in Morocco?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I graduated in 2001 from University of Ibn tofail. I just recieved another email from Johnson and Wales university. I will attach one of the last emails they sent me. I'm glad I have them move from the record person to the registrar which herself contacted international affairs and basically told me I have no records. I am seriously thinking of taking them to court. They mentioned that it was up to me to request a copy sent when I registered. I was never ever told so. All they were asking for is money and I did pay them what I could. I want them to stop exploring student for monetary gain. They held my original copy as a guarantee which is absurd. All I want from all of this is to continue my studies and now I can't prove I hold a BA.Hello,The record retention policy stated that we must only retain those particular records 5 years from a student’s last date of attendance or graduation. The individual in our records department was speaking to the fact that your records were actually purged 10 years from your last date of enrollment so the data was actually retained for a longer period of time than was required by the policy in place. The records you are requesting no longer exist. Johnson & Wales University was not responsible for permanently maintaining your records so that you could request them at a future time. Information submitted to the university as part of the application process becomes records of the university – not records of yours the university is storing on your behalf. The international admissions office has shared with me that official documentation that has been submitted will be copied by the university and returned only if the student has requested the university to do so at the time the document is submitted. The university does not automatically return documentation submitted by students; it is the responsibility of the student to make such requests. I have asked the international admissions office to modify their language so this if made clearer to international students who submit documentation.My answer since they failed to mention why they did not contact me or make me aware of this. They destroyed my hope of continuing school and don't want them to do this again to anyone Tammy
30 minutes agoDetails
Thank you for your answer. I was never provided that option when I submitted my paperwork. I should have been told so. I was a new student to the states. How in the world would I know that. I just hope that you understand it's a hard copy that you guys kept so you make sure you get paid. Please understand it is not a transcript it's a document . Do you understand that I now have no proof I hold a BA. I expected at least something in regards ***** ***** wanting to continue my studies. But since you never mentioned this to me when I arrived in providence I am lawyering up. Thank you
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
I asked the name of your University because I don't understand why they cannot give you a copy of your BA certificate and your transcripts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's Ibn Tofail university in the city of Kenitra, Morocco. They said my records were purged and no further explanation . Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Moroccan university does not provide that. And u have no answer to that but thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your help but I think you missed the point that Johnson & Wales have the Original which usually people frame and appreciate. I don't want a copy. They should not keep an original and destroy or lose it.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out. I will let another expert try to help you. Good Luck