How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 218
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Education question: Do grades received in a California state

Customer Question

Education question:
Do grades received in a California state college follow the student even if student switches to Community, or can she ignore them?
My kid went to a community college, received grades that are fine, then went to a state college but didn't finish the semester due to mono. They gave her F's instead of incompletes. She's not planning to go back there. Can she keep her GPA from her first community college and ignore the state college?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years and have been in the field of Education for 16 years.Unfortunately, the grades follow from State college to Community College.Did your daughter apply for incomplete grades? You may be able to use medical documentation of the mono to get time to finish the coures.
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
The following is from the CA State University academic policies website:"Incomplete (I). Incomplete (I). The symbol I (Incomplete Authorized) indicates that a portion of required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen - but fully justified - reasons, and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. Such reasons must meet the criteria of serious and compelling and occur late in the semester. The grade of I is only appropriate when the student requesting it has completed a minimum of two-thirds of the work for the course with a passing grade. The instructor of record retains the right to decide whether or not an I grade is appropriate. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements that must be satisfied to remove the incomplete. The faculty member should complete the online incomplete contract detailing the work that needs to be completed. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. Students may not enroll in a course for which they have an I grade.Normally it is expected that the student will make up an I grade during the next semester; however, it must be made up within one calendar year immediately following the last day of the semester/session during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment.Failure to complete the assigned work will result in the I being counted as an IC, or failing grade for grade point average computation. An I grade not made up within one calendar year after the grade has been recorded is changed to an IC (or an NC if CR/NC grading was approved).Incomplete grades must be cleared before a degree is awarded. In the absence of the instructor who has assigned the incomplete, a student seeking to make up this grade should consult the department chair.A short-term extension of time may be granted with justification by contacting the Office of the Registrar prior to the last day of the second semester/session."

Related Education Law Questions