How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am an attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in a wide variety of legal areas, including Educational Law.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our former daughter in law asked my husband and I to co-sign

Customer Question

Our former daughter in law asked my husband and I to co-sign on her nursing school loan. In good faith to give them a good start in life, we consigned. They were only married about two years because she cheated on our son. Now she is not paying on her school loan and now has two babies, so no plan to return to school it doesn't seem. Is there anything we can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Tracey,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. To the extent that you are forced to pay any part of the defaulted student loan, you may sue your ex daughter-in-law for the amount that you pay over for the loan. However, there is no way for you to avoid your contractual obligation to pay the loan based on the default by this woman. I am sorry. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug