Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Councelor at Law
Experience:  Assistant Principal, 17 years in the field of Education
81266493

I HAVE A 20 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER, WHO IS UNABLE TO CONTINUE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 20 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER, WHO IS UNABLE TO CONTINUE HER EDUCATION BECAUSE HER BIOLOGICAL PARENTS WILL NOT GIVE HER ANY INFORMATION. VERSID OFFERED TOMPAY HER TUITION AT HUDSON VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE, BUT IT WASN'T ACCEPTEDWITHOUT FINANCIALS. HER FATHER SIGNED A STATMENT SAYING HE WOULD NOT RELEASE ANY FINANCIALS, BUT HER MOTHER AND STEPFATHER REFUSED TO COOPERATIVE. IN FACT THEY TOLD HER SHE HAD TO FIND SOMEPLACE ELSE TO LIVE ONCE SHE GRADUATED. BEFORE THAT HAPPENED SHE WALKED OUT TIRED OF THE PSYCHOLOGICAL AND EMOTIO.NAL ABUSSHE LIVED WITH HER BEST FRIEND FAMILY FOR MANY MONTHS, UNTIL SHE CALLED HER AUNT AND ASKED IF SHE COULD LIVE WITH HER. MY YOUNGEST DAUGHTER IMMEDIATELY WENT AND PICKED HER UP. SHE HAS BEEN WITH SOMEONE INOUR FAMILY SINCE, BUT WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SOLVE THIS FINANCIAL AID PROBLEM. IT IS FRUSTRATING BECAUSE I FEEL AS HOMELESS AND TOTALLY DISABLED SHE COULD QUALIFY FOR PROGRAMS SCH AS HEOPP
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with this. I have been an attorney for 26 years and in the field of Education for 16 years. Your grand-daughter qualifies to be considered a "McKinney Vento" student and does not need the financial information of her parents. McKinney Vento students are "unaccompanied youth" not in the care of their parents. I am going to give you some resources so that she can establish this status with her school and get the financial add she deserves.
Under the Higher Education Act, youth who meet the definition of “independent student” can apply for federal aid without parental information or signature. Students who are considered independent students also are eligible to receive considerably more financial aid than dependent students. To be considered independent, a student must be an orphan, a ward of the court, a veteran, a graduate student, married, or have a dependent. A financial aid administrator at a college can also designate a student as independent due to “other unusual circumstances.” 20 U.S.C. §1087vv(d). Homelessness or separation from parents can be considered an unusual circumstance. Your grand daughter needs to go to the financial aid office to have them designate her as independent.
http://www.naehcy.org/toolkit-high-school-counselorsHere is a link that gives you information on how to help your grand daughter fill out FAFSA as a McKinney Vento student. The link will help her overcome the barrier of not having documents that are usually filed with FAFSA.
http://center.serve.org/nche/ibt/higher_ed.php Here is another link with information for colleges on what they have to do to assist McKinney Vento students. It also has the forms colleges need to file to establish these students as independent so they can get financial aid.You should also as the college if they have a McKinney Vento counselor. Many schools do. This person is trained to help students like your grand daughter.Please let me know if I can help more. I will be happy to answer more questions. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.