How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Education Law
Satisfied Customers: 19666
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Education Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a gov't loan. the school was American intercontinental

Customer Question

I have a gov't loan. the school was American intercontinental university in los angels. the school closed down. it also became unaccredited while I was attending. I also found out I did not have a high school deploma. is there anything I can do??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but I do not understand your post. Kindly review, edit, properly identify your issues, ask specific question and resubmit. Thank you for your cooperation,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a gov't loan. its over 15k. I attended AIU in los angels in 2005ish. I was missing a class for my high school diploma. the school sent me to do a test, witch was not accredited by LAUSD. I believed it was. shortly after I started to attend AIU. for about 2 years. the school after I left closed down. and there was a roomer going around the school was not accredited. is there anything I can do about my gov't loan? I would like to go back to school. however this loan is holding me back. it is not in default.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. If the school is not accredited and thus you cannot transfer your credits to another school, you can petition the lender of your loan for loan forgiveness. For more information, click on the link below: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the roomers where wrong. but I never really graduated from high school; do I still have to pay it back?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
What does your graduation from high school have anything to do with the loan that you borrowed to go to the University?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
someone told me that you can not attend a university with out your high school diploma. that's why I am asking.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Whether or not you are admitted to a University is solely dependent on the University's admission criteria. If the University admitted you based on its own admission requirements, the fact that you did not have high school diploma is irrelevant. So, if you have outstanding loan for attending the University, you have to pay the loan if your application for loan forgiveness is denied.